About Cambridge Kung Fu
"It's who you are, not what you've got that matters!"
Ross Sargent and Col Maggs, who founded the company, have a wealth of martial arts experience and the company has now been running for over 10 years.
Sifu Ross, company Director and Chief Instructor, began studying martial arts in 1994 and specifically Wing Chun in 1997. He has trained under many teachers and now happily trains in Wing Chun (Yong Chun) under Sifu Benno Westra, Chief Instructor of UCT International and co-founding member of the World Martial Arts Alliance, whom Ross represents in the UK. Ross put his experience as a play worker in a primary school to excellent use in developing the Cambridge Kung Fu Kids Classes into what they are today; a fun way to help kids become more aware, more confident and more disciplined via the medium of martial arts! Ross takes an enormous interest in health, well being, exercise and education and is passionate about building a Cambridge Kung Fu community.
Col, company Director and Programme Coordinator, began studying Wing Chun in 2001 with Cambridge Kung Fu. In 2009 he took part in the first '1st Technician Exam' in Britain under Benno Westra of UCT International. In 2002 Col began his Escrima training with Instructor John Morgan, and became an Instructor for Escrima Concepts (under Master Steve Tappin) in 2006. He now regularly trains privately with Instructor Wayne Tappin, and heads up the Weapons segment of Cambridge Kung Fu! In 2004 Col met Grandmaster Brian Jones and Master Ricky Crofts of Integrated Kun Tao to start his Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Kung training. In 2008 he started the Cambridge Kung Fu Tai Chi Chuan classes and continues to train privately with Grandmaster Brian.
Our Staff and Volunteers
Cambridge Kung Fu is run by a small team of full time, part time and volunteer staff who are passionate about martial arts, education, community and fun! We are a not for profit, social enterprise who believe that we really have something unique and awesome to offer. Even those Cambridge Kung Fu staff who are predominantly office based also teach and train in several of our classes. All of our staff are CRB checked and all our class leaders are first aid trained.
Our Mission Statement
Cambridge Kung Fu exists to enhance the lives of our students through martial arts and mindful movement practice.
Our mission is to assist every student in discovering ways in which to lead a happier and healthier life. In order to achieve this, we aim to support students in developing the following four fundamental skills, which we believe are essential to realising this goal.
1. Awareness: The ability to expand and deepen our understanding of ourselves, and our relationship with the Universe we live in.
Through continually deepening our internal awareness of ourselves, and expanding our external awareness of the Universe around us, we can discover the areas of life that most interest and benefit us. This allows us to optimise our enjoyment of, and contribution to, the world we live in.
2. Focus: The ability to consciously direct our attention where we choose.
Having the ability to choose the focus of our attention, allows the key things, that we have discovered are of most use to us and to the wider world, to be nurtured. This is as opposed to us focussing on less helpful thoughts; freeing us from unhelpful rumination and allowing us to enjoy our day to day lives.
3. Resilience: The ability to efficiently and effectively recover from setbacks.
No matter how disciplined our focus, we will inevitably encounter obstructions to our path that block our way or knock us off course. Therefore we must nurture our ability to bounce back from setbacks as efficiently and effectively as possible so we can optimally re-focus on our desired goals.
4. Integration: The ability to incorporate the new skills we learn into our lives.
The key to optimising yourself is being able to integrate the existing skills you have, and the new skills you learn and develop, into all aspects of your life. This integration is essential in changing to become healthier and happier; mentally physically, and emotionally.
- To provide a safe, positive and welcoming training environment in which students can flourish.
- To make each class that we teach fun, engaging and educational.
- To promote the whole-life benefits of martial arts and mindful movement to everyone who wishes to learn.
- To inspire every student to become the best version of themselves.
- To provide all of our students with the skills and the confidence to safeguard themselves and their loved ones.
- To nurture a strong, inclusive and far-reaching Cambridge Kung Fu family, which also contributes to our community.
- To build great working relationships with all organisations we work alongside.
- To connect the Cambridge Kung Fu family with world class martial artists.
- We are dedicated to, and passionate about, martial arts and mindful movement.
- We 'work hard' to embody the mission of Cambridge Kung Fu.
- We act with integrity, as we continue to undertake our own Kung Fu journey alongside our students.
- We treat everyone with respect, kindness and honesty.
- We provide a professional and reliable service.
- We recognise and appreciate the wealth of experience and wisdom of our teachers.
- We are grateful to our students, and their families, for supporting us.
- We are a 'not-for-profit' organisation and we utilise our resources responsibly.
- We invest in the development of our instructors, staff and volunteers to help them achieve their potential.
- We strive to communicate openly and with clarity.
- We understand the importance of consultation and are responsive to all feedback.
Our Mission Statement and the underlying Vision and Values run throughout all our classes; from our Kids Classes through to our Adults classes. We offer everyone the opportunity to try our classes for free so please Contact Us if you would like to come along, or if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you soon!