Zoom Training Guidelines
- Make sure that you/your child are wearing clothing that you can move easily in
- Ensure you are wearing appropriate footwear. For our Kids Classes we recommend training in bare feet if you are inside (in particular we don’t recommend training in socks on a slippery floor).
- Make sure that you/your child have access to water during your training
- Ensure you have a safe space to train in that is free of obstacles
- Make sure that you let the instructor know of any medical issues that may affect your training (if you would rather not do this in front of the class feel free to email us in advance of a class via email@example.com)
You do not need to have a Zoom account to attend a Zoom class however it is free to create an account and improves usability if you do. You will need a computer or device (such as a mobile phone or tablet) with a webcam and microphone to participate. Once you have clicked on the link provided you will be prompted to download the Zoom software, which is very small and doesn’t take long. It is possible to join the session without downloading the software (via a browser) but again usability is improved if you do download the software. If you have not used Zoom before we recommend using their test Zoom link and we also suggest familiarising yourself with Zoom before your first class.
If you have any issues most of these can be solved by visiting Zoom’s FAQs Page.
Waiting Room – If you join the class before the class start time then you will go into the ‘Waiting Room’. You will be admitted by the instuctors as soon as they are ready for you.
Display Name – Please change the display name in Zoom to be the name of the student so that we can see who we are teaching and address them correctly.
Sound Settings – The Leader of the class will have their audio enabled at all times. The Assistant in the class will be managing people’s questions etc. and so may ‘Mute’ or ‘Unmute’ students as appropriate so that everyone is able to hear the Class Leader clearly without background noise. We request people to be in a relatively quiet environment otherwise background noise can be disruptive to the class.
Display Settings – We recommend using ‘Speaker View’ as opposed to ‘Gallery View’ as we will ensure the instructors video feed is the main speaker video for the majority of the class.
Chat – The ‘Chat’ feature will be enabled so that you can write messages to the Assistant asking technical Zoom or Kung Fu questions. You will not be able to write messages to other participants.
Hands Up – As your audio will be muted for parts of the class if you have a question please raise your hand in front of the camera or use the ‘Raise Hand‘ feature on Zoom so we know that you want our attention.
Taking a Break – If you need to step away from the camera to go to the toilet, get a drink or take a short break just go ahead, it is not necessary to inform the instructors.